Friday, May 22, 2015

Drought challenge

California faces a tough test to tame its thirst for water

A dry canal is seen running off the Colorado River Aqueduct, in Hayfield Lake. LUCY NICHOLSON / Reuters

Reuters

BREAKING NEWS:
California accepts drought water deal with Delta farmers

Washington Post

In the fourth year of the most severe drought in state history, Californians are starting to turn away from arcane rules and practices that have allowed them nearly unlimited use of water since the Gold Rush. This week, a group of farmers offered to voluntarily cut the amount they use by 25 percent in exchange for keeping the remaining 75 percent for irrigation. The state is expected to decide today whether to accept the proposal.

READ MORE ►
 

Delta farmers hear more about likely water cuts

Stockton Record

Hundreds of Delta farmers packed a rural meeting room Thursday to discuss a plan where they could pledge to take 25 percent less water from area waterways in exchange for assurances of no further limit on diversions this year. “It’s a get-out-of-jail-free card, if you can show you’ve reduced your diversionary use,” said John Herrick, an attorney for south Delta farmers.

READ MORE ►
 

An average American's contribution to drought

New York Times

California farmers produce more than a third of the nation's vegetables and two-thirds of its fruits and nuts. To do that, they use nearly 80 percent of all the water consumed in the state. It is the most stubborn part of the crisis: To fundamentally alter how much water the state uses, all Americans may have to give something up.

READ MORE ►
 
  • Field Notes